default header image

Project launched to develop Serbia’s mining waste cadastre

March 9, 2017

The Ministry of Mining and Energy (MoME) has started the implementation of a project to develop a Cadastre of Mining Waste in the Republic of Serbia. The project is one of the first in line of so-called decentralized management system projects, which means that the project is financed by the EU, implemented within the institutions of the Republic of Serbia and under control of the EU Delegation in Serbia.

The Cadastre of Mining Waste in the Republic of Serbia is a technical assistance project that is being implemented with the aim to help Serbia harmonize its legislation with the EU acquis in the field of environment.

The total value of the project stands at EUR 2.1 million. The EU is providing 90% of the financial support, while the Government of the Republic of Serbia is co-financing the remaining 10%.

The three-year project, to be implemented from February 2017 until January 2021 is to result in the creation of a cadastre in the form of a web application and a book. At the same time, experts are also to produce a risk assessment, characterization and classification of mining waste from about 200-250 abandoned mining waste sites and from around 200 active mines with mining waste, as well as three case studies on three different types of mining waste.

Based on an international tender procedure, the contract has been awarded the German consortium  PLEJADES (leader) and DMT.

Video